Tuesday, December 27, 2016

December 27 letters

To Mom:

Yes it was very nice to speak to you guys.  Hopefully on Mothers day we'll have better connection but it was very nice for me on Christmas to see you guys.

Christmas day was very nice.  We had so much food I wanted to die.  We got fed a meal by this family from Zim and that was pretty nice and then we went to this other sister and she brought us out this huge plate of food and we were just looking at it like wow I don't know if I'll be able to finish that.  And then she said ok I'll bring the meat in a minute.  Then she brought us a huge plate of meat as well with like different types of meat on it.  and then I thought I was going to die and she brought out dessert.  She literally brought us the hugest bowl of Ice cream I have ever seen.  It was probably the size of a big mixing bowl just chuck full of ice cream and cake and I thought I was going to die.  I just kept taking bites and saying I hate food I hate food.  I ended up leaving like half of it.  Then after that some more people wanted to feed us meat and we just had to turn them away.  And then another sister gave us some cake and a tin of biscuits and a full 2.5 liter coke and some candy bars to take home hahaha.  We felt very fat.  It was a nice day.

So yeah I just have a couple of stories from this last week which I will share.

Firstly we struggled to get appointments.  I think we had an average of about 12 appointments planned a day and we didn't teach a single one.  So many drops.  On Thursday though we did manage to teach a lesson which was a really cool lesson.  So the other Elders called us and they said they have a referral for us and they met a sister that had come to their ward that stays in our area and her name is L.  So we set up a time with this sister to teach her and it was Thursday.  Anyway so this girl is 23 and she's from Joburg so she's only here for the holiday.  But she told us that she's been coming to church with her friend for about a month and that the missionaries have only taught her once but they didn't really teach her so she's basically a brand new investigator.  Anyway we started teaching her the Restoration and when we got to the part about prophets Elder Reedy kind of explained to her what prophets are and then he asked her what do you know about prophets.  And she was just like "Yeah they are men of God and I like that they have to be chosen by God."  And I was like good good that's true.  And then she was like "I actually met one of the prophets in Joburg."  And I was like Oh brother what is this.  Because there are some pretty crazy false prophets in South Africa.  But then she was like "D Todd Christofferson"  And I was like no way that's insane.  And she pulled out her phone and she had a picture with her and Elder Christofferson was right there on the stand.  I was so blown away.  And anyway she turned out to be a golden perfect investigator and if the Joburg missionaries don't screw it up she'll be baptized for sure.

The other story I want to share with you guys is from yesterday which was the day after Christmas.  We were teaching this guy called S.  we've taught S maybe 3 other times so we know him pretty well but the whole time he's told us he doesn't want to commit to anything because he doesn't believe in Jesus Christ and he doesn't really think religion is important.  Well yesterday we told him that we were going to teach him the plan of salvation and that we were going to show him why it matters that we believe in Christ and why he should commit to the things that we've asked him to commit to.  Well it turned out to be a super spirit-led lesson.  The whole time he was getting revelation and asking all these super inspired questions and at the end I was like wow Sparks that was a nice lesson I have really felt the spirit and he was so excited he was like yeah me too!  But then we talked to him about baptism and we had already given him a date to work for but he didn't really care, so this time when we asked him to prepare for baptism he said Yeah for sure I'm really excited to be baptized and I'm coming to church and I'm going to read the book of mormon too.  And we were like wow this is powerful.  And anyway he changed completely in that lesson I could really see the light of Christ come into his eyes.  It was a very nice lesson.

Also My son elder Reedy got burned pretty bad this morning.  He spilled boiling water on his leg so we'll see what happens with that.  


To Dad:

Yeah it was so nice to talk to you guys.  I think for mothers day I will have more experience and I'll be able to figure out the best way to skype you guys.

Man it sounds like you guys had a sweet Christmas though.  That made me so sad when you said Daniel is Aevyn's favorite buddy.  But yeah I wish I could be there with all the family just playing with all the kids and opening presents and rolling around in the snow hahaha. 

That present from Nana and Jordan is super cool.  That's a sweet gift I wouldn't mind getting that myself.  That's pretty cool that they thought about what you would really want.  

 It's nice that Christmas is over though because all of our investigators are starting to come back and the baptisms we're looking at is pretty exciting.  We have maybe 20 people who we think could be baptized in January and February which means we're going to be really busy again and it's very exciting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment